<meta name='google-adsense-platform-account' content='ca-host-pub-1556223355139109'/> <meta name='google-adsense-platform-domain' content='blogspot.com'/> <!-- --><style type="text/css">@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;} </style> </head><body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d8016320740892709188\x26blogName\x3dShip\x27s+Blog\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_HOSTED\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://blog.lakeclinic.org/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://blog.lakeclinic.org/\x26vt\x3d-7056662148740339128', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

In early September I was away from Cambodia for a short time, and upon my return found that the TLC-1 was listing rather prominently to starboard (that's the right side of the boat.) Slight tilts from side to side are to be expected as fuel tanks and water tanks empty upon use and refill. However, this was a dramatic change over just a two week period, and something very close to panic set in, and I want to thank those of you who responded positively to my plea for financial help in the "Troubled Waters" email. (Hi, Caroline!)
The interior of the TLC-1, and its bilge.

Water, water everywhere!

Over the course of the next several days we lifted all the floor boards, examined the hull as much as we could in the murky water and began to make plans to bring the TLC-1 to Phnom Penh for a lift-out. Bailing water and running the bilge pumps became an almost full time job.
Our bilge pump has a long hose!

Not being the brightest bulb on the circuit it took me a day or so to note that all the new water we were pumping out was crystal clear and that it was unlikely that the water was coming from the lake--and thus a hull leak--and was probably rainwater coming in through the roof and making its way into the bilge through the wall.

Given that information, both P.A. and J.K. from Sweline Boats (Apparently Swedes don't have proper names.) suggested that their workers come to Siem Reap, rather than taking the boat to Phnom Penh.

The ceiling came down first, and sure enough a leak in the roof was found and patched.
Water was coming through where the engine controls enter the boat.

Another leak was found under the toilet, and was easily repaired simply by tightening the flanges where the outlet and inlet pipes join the hull. A third leak is suspected, and it's source has not yet revealed itself. Next year, when the TLC-1 is pulled from the water in Phnom Penh a concerted effort will have to be made to locate and correct it. For now, we are able to deal with the one or two liters of water that appear in the bilge on a daily basis.

Some more pics.
The bilge just next to the toilet.
Removing the flooring to access the bilge/hull.
This is just to impress you with the amount of water that can pour from the sky with a small, 15 minute rain.

As I write this, rain water is lapping up to the front door of this office.

30 October, 2008